Sunday, March 23, 2008

New Embroidered Card For a Baby Girl

Judging from my technique poll, a lot of people want to see some new embroidery patterns.  You're in luck!  I was commissioned to make a card for a new baby girl this week.  I was given free reign on the medium and design, so I decided to go with embroidery.   Here is the result:

PEbabybuggy20080222

It took a considerable amount of time to stitch.  I tried some traditional embroidery stitches that I haven't done on a card before,  like the lazy daisy and french knot.  They lazy daisy is a little tricky, since you can't put a needle in one hole and out another simultaneously on a card like you can on cloth.  It took a little more time and was a bit more challenging than doing the same stitch on cloth, but I really like the results.  I'll probably be using this stitch again in future patterns.

If you'd like to give this pattern a try, you can find the it on the embroidery page on my main website: www.handcraftedgreetings.com.

8 comments:

  1. I love the baby girl pattern, took me some time to make it but I was pleased. Could someone help me get more free patterns as my money goes fo medical Thank Yourns as I cannot afford to buy books or patterns. I am 72 and live on SS. Thank You

    ReplyDelete
  2. It took me a long time to make baby girl card but it was worth the time. Came out lovely. I have been embroidering on paperfor only 1 month because I cannot find many free patterns and cannot afford to buy any. Could I get help as how to find some?
    Thank You

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can find more embroidery patterns on my main website at http://www.handcraftedgreetings.com/embrinst.html

    This Yahoo group might also be a good resource: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PaperEmbroidery/

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is gorgeous! I am newly pregnant (Or just found out today) So I'm following all who make baby stuff! Have a very nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. In the list of supplies, it says cellotape. What exactly is it used for? I am assuming to hold the embroidery floss down on the back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you see this - I apologize for taking SO LONG to respond!
    Yes, the tape is to tape the floss to the back. It works much better than trying to tie a knot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed making this card but it took me a long time to do the lazy daisy stitch. I am still not pleased with my results regarding that part of the card but it is really cute.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you enjoyed making the card. The lazy daisy is a bit tricky when stitched on paper. Here a are some things that may help: make sure the holes aren't too big when you do the poking for the pattern, use a fairly skinny needle when stitching it and make sure you don't pull the thread too tight.

    ReplyDelete